Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Shooting with manual exposure

  1. #1
    Inactive Member technicolour's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 5th, 2001
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    halloa everyone, bit of a noob question I'm afraid but I've since aquired a decent camera and I know your not supposed to shoot with auto exposure to get the best results. Im still confused about a few things and I've copied a table of recommended apertures for particular weather conditions from a super 8 film leaflet. I wanted really to know the accuracy of this data, seeing as a lot of you guys must have tried and tested methods of shooting with manual exposure.

    For beach, landscape and snow scenes.

    Bright Sun
    and Distinct shadows F16

    Hazy sun
    Soft shadows F11

    Cloudy
    No shadows F8

    Dull
    Heavily overcast F5.6


    For buildings, distant figures
    and landscapes with foreground

    Bright sun
    Distinct shadows F11

    Hazy sun
    Soft shadows F8

    Cloudy
    No shadows F5.6

    Dull
    Heavily overcast F4


    People up close

    Bright sun
    Distinct shadows F8

    Hazy sun
    Soft shadows F5.6

    Cloudy
    No shadows F4

    Dull
    Heavily overcast F2.8

    (The above data might not display as I intended seeing as it always has to fit into a space wider then the box that you type it into!)

    Is this information fairly accurate or has anyone got anything more elaborate? I read in the manual that for the best results you should go up close to your subject and note what the light meter says, then switch back to manual and use the suggested aperture.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member regular8mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 27th, 2003
    Posts
    33
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Not that I shoot in S8 usually but here goes.
    Regular 8mm requires one to use a light meter and shoot manually. So, one learns how to use the skills required to shoot 16mm film. Those cameras do not have on board auto light meters either, at least the ones I have. To that end I have documented in some haphazzard way a testimony of my efforts to learn how to expose film. Regular 8mm Black & White reversal film with a light meter.
    There are many clips and camera reports on my web site. Have a look around. Some parts have been more "developed" than others, but, I am happy with my results.
    Look at the light meter page to see how I use it:
    http://www.16mmoviemaking.com/light_meter.htm

    Then look at the first 4 reels of film I've shot, three reels of Fomapan 100 and one of Cine-X 100 foot. Two more were shot, but they havn't returned yet and are again Fomapan but made in a P1, new light meter onboard but manual. problems, Problems. should be interesting.

    film 01 http://www.16mmoviemaking.com/01_Traffic.htm
    It started that I only got a few shots right and ended that I got a few shots that were bad.
    http://www.16mmoviemaking.com/02_Chepstow.htm
    pictures link to mpg film clips.
    numbers on the shot breakdown lists link sometimes. look for the blue underlined links.
    http://www.16mmoviemaking.com/03_Confirmations.htm
    Confirmations really shows the exposure data.
    Then the fun starts.
    http://www.16mmoviemaking.com/04_Meter_&_Roman.htm

    This shouldn't be too different from shooting in S8 manually. The same type of problems apply.

    Michael Carter

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Greg Crawford's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 6th, 2002
    Posts
    603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Back in the early 60's I remember the little card that fit in your camera that had numbers and recommendations like that. It was based on shooting at 16 FPS (REGULAR 8 SILENT SPEED) and using ASA 10 Kodachrome.

    If your material is from the mid 60's we can assume it's reflecting the high film speed of Kodachrome ASA 25 and perhaps 18 FPS. If you shoot at sound speed 24 FPS will need to open your lens up 1/3 of a stop more light than what you would need at 18 FPS or 2/3 of a stop more than what you would need at shooting at 16 FPS.

    The best advice is get yourself a good light meter. If you need a bargain look on eBay at a local pawn shoppe. Learn how to use it and test it before shooting anything that is important. Even if your meter is a little off you can calibrate it. You will need to know what direction it favors, under or over exposure.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •